Friday 22 March 2013

This music...

Winter still seems to be in charge and there's no sign of Spring here in our corner of Scotland. This week felt endless and I'm thankful it's Friday and I don't need to drive the long commute to and from work. My plans this weekend are...well, I don't have any and that's just the way I like it! I'm in need of peace and stillness. 
I know how he feels!

This beautiful piece of choral music seems a good way to begin that process. Esti Dal  (Evening Song) is by Hungarian composer Zoltán Kodály.  This version is performed by the King's Singers and features the countertenor David Hurley.  His voice is completely ethereal and unmatched in my opinion. A rough English translation of the song is below.  Enjoy!





Evening darkness overtook me near the woods;

I have put my coat under my head,
I have put my hands together
To pray to the Lord, like this:



Oh, my Lord, give me a place to sleep,
I am weary with wandering,
With walking around and hiding,
With living on foreign land.



May Lord give me a good night,
May he send me a holy angel,
May he encourage our hearts' dreams,
May he give us a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment